Friday, May 22, 2009

LIFE HAS A WAY OF TAKING THE LOW ROAD

You know somewhere back in the creases of your mind, you feel you are going to live for ever, like nothing bad could happen to you or you won't have to deal with an illness that can kill you.

About a month ago I was succeeding at dealing with a disease I have had most my life called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. It is a nasty little diesease, where you go through cycles of thrwing up for 1,2 maybe a week before it stops, or go the th ER and have them knock you out to get it stopped. Your mind goes ya and it is as if you are having an out of body experience and I swear everything you have ever done in your life that you regretted will come up and bit you in the ass. THey have no cure but it has something to do with motillity and migraines.

OK so I was sailing along and just started to not feel good. I was blacking out and couldn't get to the mail box without being winded and I found a lump! ARRRGGGGHHH! I can't stand to go to the doctors any more I have been there so much and I am just tired. I kept putting it off and I was getting worse and worse. So at the advice of some very dear people in my life, which right now I could not do with out-Thanks DPC'ers-I went to have a tune up!

I go in and tell him all my symptoms and we do a full workup. x-rays blood etc. And then the call me in a few days. But you'll be fine.

Ok, I'll be fine. so, three days after I call for my results and I am told he will call back. The phone rings at 6pm on a Fri afternoon, and I swear this is what he says(oh BTW the doc calling me back is my docs twin brother weird huh)Cholesterol is high, looks like the start of Emphesema and you are in the 3rd stage of kidney failure, and it looks like melanoma on one of your breast ok! Have a good week end.

I swear I stood there with the phone in my hand and sunk to the floor in tears. The Rev was like what did they say and I told him and he sat there a cried with me. Now again if you know me you will know what I do next. I research. I fing the good the bad and the ugly. Sometimes it scares me but I would rather know. So, the Monday after this I went in to see my twin Dr. David. He took the time to explain alot to me and while daunting at least it was clear.

So the first stop was to dermtologist. She scraped the red spot off of my breast and sent it in. One week later it came back basal cell cacinoma and I had a 2 x 2 x 2 incision. But they got it all. So now I m back on 6 month tests.(been through this before.)

Next my annual with my specialist at KUMC.

Then a kidney scan, then pulminary doc, then endocrinologist. blood test after blood test, test here test theree over and over, I am a human pin cushion.

So far the little smarty twin doc (stan) has been wrong. Emphesema=Adult onset Asthman(I had it when I was little)

Stage three kidney disease=yes I have it but there are other factors that I do not fall in to make it dangerous at this moment.

And of course we already talked about the cancer on the breast.

I guess the moral of this story is do research, see another doc, just be proactive in yourself and your health because doctors are so busy today they barely have time to sit down for more than 5 minutes at a time and explain things to you.

Just alittle side note. My specialist at KUMC is a world renown doctor in the disease of the gut. The second appointment I had with him I took papers printed of the web site for CVS(Cyclic Vomiting) and he has now saved thousands with the info and letting me be his guinea pig. I don't mind being his tester I throw up occassionally but I have the tools and medications now to not end up at the ER.

And last but not least, just because they have MD behind their name they are not always right.
Kat

No comments: