Friday, May 22, 2009

The Day You Leave

I slept with your jacket last night. Some how it got to the bed from the closet. It is the Navy jacket you left for your Dad with your last name emblazended across your left chest in bright golden yellow. I cried so much yesterday, my tears dried up.

I have a big red "X" on my calendar that says Bear goes to War.

I was awoke this morning with the special ring we put on the phone to let us know it was you and I flew out of the bedand searched for the phones. Your Dad got it before I could get there. He is a strong man, but I think I saw a single tear as he handed me the phone and turned away.

You were at the airport and were just moments away from boarding the plane that will take you to Kuwait and then on to Afghanastan.I could hear a small quiver in your voice in response to my quiver in telling you "I love you! Be strong! Come home safe!" And then you had to go.

How I wish I could run to you and envelope you in my arms and hold you and tell you it was all going to be ok like I did when you had a bike accident or some one at school was being mean to you. Or when the one you thought was the one broke your heart.

So, when you are scared, feel my arms around you, when you are hurt, remember me being cheek to cheek and telling you it is going to be ok, and if you can't sleep at night, remember me softly tucking your hair behind you ear and singing "Over the Rainbow".

And most of all remember I'll love you always.

Mom

No comments: